Energy Efficiency Alberta is seeking applications from individuals interested in serving as the Chief Executive Officer of Energy Efficiency Alberta.
The role of Energy Efficiency Alberta as a new Crown agency is to:
- Raise awareness among energy consumers of energy use and the associated economic and environmental benefits of energy conservation and efficiency;
- Promote, design and deliver best value, performance-based programs and carry out activities related to energy efficiency, energy conservation and the development of micro-generation and small scale energy systems in Alberta;
- Undertake best efforts to achieve energy efficiency targets;
- Be the voice and face of energy efficiency in Alberta, promoting a culture of conservation; and
- Promote the enhancement of the energy efficiency services industry.
The agency has a budget of $645 million over the next five years, supporting the use of a variety of tools to encourage energy efficiency improvements including education, outreach and training programs, and financial incentives.
Strategic and Innovative Leadership
Under the governance of the Board, the Chief Executive Officer will lead the agency’s efforts to advance the conservation and efficient use of energy by end users, contributing to the implementation of the Government of Alberta’s Climate Leadership Plan.
The CEO must be a strategic and inspiring leader capable of developing and implementing a strategic plan for the agency emphasizing efficiency, inclusivity, innovation, and measurable outcomes.
Further, the CEO must possess the ability to build and motivate their team towards meeting the agency’s performance targets and outcomes, fostering an organizational culture of innovation and creativity that embraces exploration of alternative solutions.
The CEO will:
- Act as the spokesperson for the agency and will be the most senior point of contact for all stakeholders including the public, indigenous communities, municipalities, small business, and government officials.
- Develop relationships with stakeholders and the government in a professional, collaborative manner, creating and building support for the agency’s vision and strategy.
- Raise strong awareness among energy consumers of the associated economic and environmental consequences of energy use, and promote activities that reduce the economic and environmental consequences of energy consumption.
- Develop and nurture a positive, productive working relationship with the Board of Directors by contributing to clear corporate governance, fostering an atmosphere of mutual respect and open communication between the Board and the agency’s leadership team.
The CEO will design the organizational structure, to ensure the agency functions in the most effective and efficient manner, and ensure the agency’s day-to-day operations are managed with a view to continuous learning and refinement of operations for increasingly better performance.
The CEO will be required to develop and manage clear performance metrics and outcomes, and develop and implement sound policies and processes that ensure employees are engaged and contributing to shared goals.
The CEO will ensure that the agency’s budget, financial resources, and high value contracts are managed and negotiated in a fiscally responsible manner and in accordance with the Alberta Public Agencies Governance Act.
Our CEO must possess:
- Experience working in the energy sector, with the demonstrated ability to deliver clear outcomes in a complex stakeholder and regulatory environment;
- Experience as a senior leader of a public or private organization with direct operational management responsibility for human resources and budget;
- Excellent communication skills to develop a positive rapport with stakeholders and government officials that inspires the confidence and engagement of Albertans, Alberta businesses and other stakeholders in energy efficiency, renewable energy, and microgeneration;
- Experience in financial management, enterprise risk management and expertise in negotiating large value contracts;
- Experience operating or building high-functioning organizations, including recruitment and retention of quality human resources and managing high-performing, results oriented teams.
To be successful in this role, the CEO will benefit from the following competencies:
- A strong understanding of the current and emerging issues affecting the energy efficiency, energy conservation and energy sector in Alberta, Canada and globally;
- Experience with energy efficiency and renewable energy;
- Experience with development of start-up or early stage organizations;
- Experience successfully interacting with the media;
- Experience working directly for/with a Board of Directors;
- Related post-secondary education in business administration, commerce or management.
The term of this position will be 3 to 5 years.
A competitive salary will be offered commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate, together with competitive benefits. The salary and performance measurements will be determined by the Board of Directors, with approval by the Minister.
Stephanie Atkin, Legislative and Governance Analyst
12th Floor Baker Centre, 10025-106 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5J 1G4
Carefully read the Recruitment Posting and the Position Profile to ensure this is an appropriate opportunity for you. Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements.
Online applications are preferred, to apply, click on the 'apply' button, create or sign into your account in the ePAAS system; upload your resume, view the listing under Current Opportunities and click on 'submit application'. The uploaded resume will be automatically attached, a cover letter and other documents can be uploaded and attached at this time before clicking the 'apply' button.
If you are unable to apply online, please submit a cover letter and resume, quoting the recruitment posting competition number, to the HR contact provided.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to assess which candidates' qualifications most closely match the agency's requirements. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted to advance to the next step in the appointment process. You can check the status of each competition on-line at http://alberta.ca/public-agencies.cfm.
All potential candidates will be screened for potential conflicts of interest.
Please Note: Successful applicants will have the following information about them made publicly available on the Public Agency Secretariat Website: name, public agency and position appointed to, appointment term and remuneration received.